Family and Consumer Sciences
The focus of Family and Consumer Sciences is on families, careers and relationships. Our mission is to prepare students for their personal lives, family, work and community by providing opportunities to develop the knowledge, skills, attitudes and behaviors needed for:
- making appropriate decisions;
- using critical and creative thinking skills to address problems in diverse family,
work and community environments;
- communicating effectively with others;
- successfully resolving conflicts in life;
- being responsible citizens and leaders;
- balancing personal, home, family and work lives;
- appreciating human worth and accepting responsibility for one’s actions and successes;
- managing resources to meet the material needs of individuals and families;
- functioning as providers and consumers of goods and services;
- promoting optimal nutrition and wellness across the life span;
- strengthening the well-being of individuals and families across the life span;
and promoting a commitment to lifelong learning.
Family and Consumer Science Department Goals
- Write with focus, structure, and proper grammar.
- Follow written and spoken direction.
- Use technology to research and evaluate information.
- Surmount obstacles by successfully problem-solving.
- Create/produce a physical product through tactile manipulation of raw resources.
- Make informed healthy choices that positively affect the health, safety, and well being of themselves and others.