- Students demonstrate competency in motor skills and movement patterns needed to perform a variety of physical activities.
- Students demonstrate understanding of movement concepts, principles, strategies, and tactics as they apply to the learning and performance of physical activity.
- Students participate regularly in physical activity.
- Students achieve and maintain a health-enhancing level of physical fitness.
- Students exhibit responsible personal and social behavior that respects self and others in physical activity settings.
- Students value physical activity for health, enjoyment, challenge, self-expression, and/or social interaction.
The Physical Education Department of Rutland High School is committed to the belief that education of the total child is crucial for students to reach their fullest potential in life. In Physical Education, the child’s mental, physical and social development are integrated. The ultimate goal of the program is to provide students with the skills and knowledge necessary to lead a healthy and active life style.
The underlying philosophy of this program is to expose students to as many different types of activities as possible, while at the same time offering a choice to the student. This choice will, in turn, create the interest of the individual to pursue these activities after formal education. This philosophy and its related learning strategies will direct students toward an improved quality of life as a result of increased participation in a variety of physical activities and an understanding and appreciation of lifetime fitness.